LAPL(A) LIGHT AIRCRAFT PILOT LICENSE
Privileges and conditions
A LAPL for aeroplanes will allow you to act as pilot in command (PIC) on two classes of aircraft: either a single-engine piston aeroplane (land) or touring motor glider (TMG) with a maximum take-off mass of 2000 kg or less, carrying a maximum of 3 passengers, with no more than 4 persons on board.
You will only be licensed to act as PIC in the class and variant of aircraft in which you passed your skill test, unless you complete further training – see extension of privileges to another class or variant of aeroplane section of this page. Examples of different variants include additional aircraft complexities, such as a constant speed propeller or retractable undercarriage.
You can only carry passengers after getting your licence and also completing 10 hours of flight time as PIC.
Experience requirements and crediting
If you don’t already have a licence you will need to complete at least 30 hours of flight instruction on aeroplanes or TMGs, including at least:
- 15 hours of dual flight instruction in the class of aircraft you will be taking your skill test in - either a single-engine piston (SEP) aeroplane or TMG.
- 6 hours of supervised solo flight time, including at least 3 hours of solo cross country flight time with at least 1 cross country flight of at least 150 km (80 NM) that includes 1 full stop landing at an aerodrome different from the departure aerodrome.
Getting a LAPL (A) if you have an existing licence
If you have a relevant current rating on another type of licence for aeroplanes and you are applying for a LAPL you will not have to do any additional training or skill tests.
If your rating has lapsed you will need to complete the LAPL skill test.
If you hold a LAPL (S) with a TMG rating and you want to apply for a LAPL (A), you must complete 21 hours of flight time on a TMG after you have received your TMG licence endorsement, and also meet the requirements on the extension of privileges to another class or variant of aeroplane section of this page.
Extension of privileges to another class or variant
To extend a LAPL (A) to include an additional class (either the SEP (up to 2000 kg) or the TMG, depending on which you already have), you will need to complete the following:
1) 3 hours of flight instruction, including:
- 10 take-offs and landings under instruction; and
- 10 supervised solo take-offs and landings.
2) A skill test to demonstrate adequate competency in the new class, during which you will also need to demonstrate an adequate level of theoretical knowledge for the class in the following subjects:
- Operational procedures
- Flight performance and planning
- Aircraft general knowledge
To extend the privileges of a LAPL (A) to include more complex variants of the class of aircraft in which you took your skill test, you will need to complete differences or familiarisation training, which will then be entered into your log book and signed by the instructor.
Keeping your licence current, and what to do if you don’t meet the requirements
The privileges of your licence will only remain valid if you have completed, in the last 24 months, as pilot of an aeroplane or TMG:
1) At least 12 hours flight time as PIC, including 12 take-offs and landings; and
2) Refresher training of at least 1 hour of total flight time with an instructor.
If you do not meet these requirements you will need to:
1) Complete a proficiency check with an examiner before you exercise the privileges of the licence; or
2) Complete the additional flight time or take-offs and landings to meet the requirements above, flying dual or solo, under the supervision of an instructor.
Terms & Condition
Althoug the price is based on "fair use" and represents an all inclusive amount we will re-charge the student for any hour after passing the target hours for the Training course. The target is considered as legally required block time hours plus 5 hrs. For example PPL(A): 30 hrs. + 5 hrs. = Target 35 hrs block time (Time-out till Time-in).
Training - All inclusive! 10/90 hrs. Class/CBT
- Administration fee at Alpe Adria Aviation Academy
- Classroom Training 10 hrs.
- Traing material ( Advanced PPL-Guide 7 books)
- CBT Training (Computer Based Training) 90hrs.
- iOs & Desktop APP login @ AIRACADEMY
- PEXO - Education Progress Check
- Online Questions Trainer @ AIRACADEMY
- Flight Instruction 30 block time hours + 5 hours "fair use"
- Aeroplane 4 Seater - G1000NXi
- Approach, Landing & Parking Fees
Additional investment - please check carefully!
- NO Membership!
- Class 2 medical certificate
- Flight Radio Telephony Operator License
- FRTOL Class room for BFZ (& English = EFZ)
- Examination fee at Authority
- (for IR Instrument Rating EFZ & IR = AFZ)
- Language proficiency at least level 4 (if, English is used e.g. IR)
- Flight Bag
- Flight Bag
- Flight Cap
- Sun Glasses
- ICAO Chart Austria
- NAV Triangle
- NAV calculator or computer
- Pilot Logbook
- Head Set (activ or passiv)
- Survival Kit
- Airport Klagenfurt (LOWK) Entry Card
- Theory - Examination fee at Austrocontrol GmbH (Vienna)
- Skill Test
- Approach, landing & parking fees
- Examination fee
- Authority fee for paperwork
At the end of training, and when all requirements for licence issue have been met, you will need to take a skill test with an examiner. The skill test (legally) takes place out of your flight training school´s (DTO or ATO) environment and responsibility, even we will organise the infrastructure, equipment and examinier for our students.
This is to demonstrate that the procedures and manoeuvres that you will have been taught during training can be carried out competently as pilot in command (PIC) on the relevant aircraft category.